Prevention & Early Intervention
Prevention and Early Intervention Services funded by the Edmonton and Area Child and Family Services Authority provide a wide range of family-centered, community-based programs and services for families. Preventative programming for children, youth and families encourages healthy outcomes. Families can access appropriate resources to build on their strengths and to increase their support systems.
Prevention and Early Intervention Services promote positive child development and family functioning by:
- supporting the learning and development needs of children, including Head Start/Early Start programs, play groups, and literacy development
- supporting expectant mothers and new parents to have healthy babies, including prenatal and postnatal care and education and access to community health programs
- offering parent support and teaching positive parenting skills in addition to nutrition, discipline, communication and relationship building
- assisting families to develop social support networks and community linkages
- offering early learning and family resource programs in a variety of settings, including home visits, support groups, one-on-one, outreach, and information sessions
- supporting children, youth and families who are or who may be affected by Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- working with children, youth and families to prevent and address family violence, including counseling, education and support programs
- collaborating with the community to plan and provide programs and services, including culturally appropriate parenting supports for aboriginal, immigrant and refugee families
Prevention and Early Intervention Services are provided to children, youth and families by community-based agencies under contract to the Edmonton and Area Child and Family Services Authority. Child and Family Services local offices assist children, youth and families in need by connecting them with community resources and parenting supports.
If you have questions about parenting or need help with meeting your children's needs, contact the local office closest to you. A staff member will be happy to discuss what Child and Family Services can do for you and your family.
A directory of Early Intervention Services can be obtained from the local office closest to your home.