When Can I Live on my Own?
- If you are able to support yourself, you are legally allowed to leave home at 16 years old.
- Your parents are legally responsible for you until you are 18 years old, even if you do not live at home. Your parents are not allowed to ask you to move out until you turn 18 years old.
- If you cannot live at home because you are not safe, you need to talk to a Human Services Worker at Crisis Unit (780-422-2001).
Who is NOT at Home?
- In 1996, only about 10% of 18 year olds did not live with their parents, and only about 20% of 19 years olds no longer lived at home.
- Older teens living on their own were less likely to be in school and slightly more likely to be employed than teens who still lived with their parents.
Reference: Youth at Work in Canada, A Research Report - Canadian Council on Social Development.
Learn About Your Options
Crisis Unit 780-422-2001
Youth Emergency Shelter Society 780-468-7070
Health Link Alberta 1-866-408-5465