FSCD Supports and Services
FSCD provides information and referrals, and funding for family support services and child-focused services to families of children with disabilities. To access any of these services, contact us.
Prior to accessing FSCD supports, families are encouraged to access the supports, services and resources already available to them. All other available resources must be utilized before the FSCD program will provide funding. Read more about other resources.
Information and Referral Support
Information and referral supports are available to all families who have a child with a disability, regardless of the type of disability or eligibility for the FSCD program, including:
- Information about federal and provincial government programs and services, community supports and local resources
- Assistance obtaining and coordinating supports and services
- Referral to community support and advocacy resources, such as parent support groups, disability associations or advocacy organizations
- Information and support to empower parents to advocate for their child
Family Support Services
Family support services may be provided based on the family’s needs and circumstances, including:
- Individual and family counseling
- Assistance with the cost of clothing and footwear related to the child’s disability
- Assistance with the cost of attending medical appointment or when the child is in hospital, such as parking, mileage, meals and accommodation
- Respite services
Child-focused services are provided when a child’s disability significantly limits his or her ability to function in normal daily living activities, and are based on the child’s and family’s individually assessed needs. Child-focused services include:
- Respite services
- Child care support
- Aide supports
- Health-related supports, such as assistance with some of the extraordinary cost of prescription drugs, formulas and diets
- Specialized services, such as support and consultation from occupational or physical therapists, speech language pathologists or psychologists
- Out-of-home living arrangements, if necessary, to support a child when all other alternatives for in-home supports have been explored.
The FSCD program is committed to working with families to address and resolve any concerns that arise. Read more about these services here.